Friday, August 21, 2026

I Finally Went To The Dream Cruise!

I’ve wanted to go to the Dream Cruise since 2021. I remember hearing about it, seeing the photos, and thinking, One of these years, I’m going to be there.

Well, five years later, I finally did it. Took me a while but no point getting into reasons for it being postponed. The important thing is I did it this year! 



During the Dream Cruise 2026 on August 15, I made my way out to Woodward, ready to see all the classic cars, crazy rides, crowds, and everything else that makes this event what it is. And after waiting five years, it was pretty satisfying to finally experience it for myself. 

I read that there was an anticipated 1- 1.5 million spectators and 40,000 cars will drive down the 16-mile stretch on Woodward Avenue from Pontiac to Ferndale. Naturally, I expected traffic jam and massive crowds but was surprised that this was not the case. I did see some merchandise stalls set up and also tents serving food drink and playing live music but not too bad of a crowd.



The next time I go, I'd probably drive and park at the parking spots instead of taking an Uber and walking blocks to arrive in Woodward. Lesson learnt.  The great part was the weather on this lovely Saturday instead of the August blistering sun that marks this cruise every year. It was cloudy and rained a little but that didn't dampen my spirit as I sat on the ground across from the church and watched from the sidelines the beauties that passed me. I could not only see but hear the revs of the engines and smell the cars. Talk about ground experience!



National Shrine of the Little Flower Basilica, Royal Oak.

So, was it worth the wait? Let’s take a little ride through my day at the Dream Cruise and see what I found along the way.


Chevy Impala

I discovered that I especially liked the classic and collector cars, not so much the more modern and custom vehicles. 

1964 Cadillac Coupe deVille- love the tail fins 



Ford Mustang Convertible in Legend Lime Metallic color (2005-2006)



1974-1977 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback Coupe - very sporty 


Another orange beauty- 1933/34 Ford Tudor (two-door) Sedan


The successor of the Model T is the Ford Model A Tudor Sedan (1927-1931)  and when it rolled down Woodward, it is hard not to be in awe.




1935/36 Auburn Boattail Speedster



1952 MG TD Replica - a fiberglass reproduction modelled after the iconic 1950s British sports car roadster


This station wagon does bring back some nostalgia especially when watching American movies from the 80s. I was always fascinated by the woodgrain side panelling.

Ford LTD Country Squire Station Wagon 1988-90. 


Another interesting station wagon mainly due to its color in mint/seafoam green paint.

Chevrolet Caprice Classic station wagon (1977-1990)


I am not a huge fan of pick up trucks but there are a few that are striking such as this one.

International Harvester KB-series pickup truck (1947-49)


Another cute pickup truck.

1947-54 GMC New Design


Ford F-100 classic pickup truck (1956) - notice the wrap-around windshield


And, the winner of all pickup trucks is this mainly for its showmanship. 

1969-70 GMC C/K series pickup truck


This convertible brings back memories of something similar my father owned. 

1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible 


Presenting the first true muscle car made by Pontiac. It is called that because it perfected the formula of stuffing a massive, full-size V8 engine into a light weight, mid-size car body.  


1964 Pontiac GTO Hardtop Coupe 


1932 Ford 3-Window Coupe Hot Rod. Hi-Boy style marked by fenders removed to showcase the engine and front suspension


Newer cars that caught my eye is the Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe (20072016) cruising down the avenue with its rear-hinged coach doors (suicide doors) and its gorgeous yacht inspired design. 



 
Modern stuff is not my thing but this is the 2023 Polaris Slingshot R. It is classified as a 3 wheel autocycle or motorcycle rather than a car. 




Of course, what is a car parade without the camper van? There were a few but this is the one I managed to photograph. It is finished in its iconic factory shade called Sage Green.

Volkswagen Type 2 (1973-1979)


The patriotic American flag wrap is the real paint scheme, people. The car is built in the gasser style -a type of custom drag racing car that is identified with its high riding, nose-up stance. The custom modifications are the solar panels at the back! Lovely blend of vintage auto styling and modern green technology.

1963 Ford Falcon Sprint


The sights on the way back home were a nice reminder that I’m right here in the Motor City (or shall I say Motor State), surrounded by such a strong car culture. I also loved seeing how local businesses welcome and celebrate the cruisers, making the Dream Cruise feel like a true community event. It’s nice to see how much pride and enthusiasm the local businesses and the community have for this annual tradition.


Cruise Week Specials 


All in all, I really enjoyed my time at the Dream Cruise, which runs from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. I’m sure I missed plenty of other interesting cars, but I’m glad I got to be part of this annual event, see some beautiful vehicles, and learn a little along the way. It was a fun way to spend the afternoon, and I even got plenty of steps in, especially with the walk all the way back home!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I Finally Went To The Dream Cruise!

I’ve wanted to go to the Dream Cruise since 2021. I remember hearing about it, seeing the photos, and thinking, One of these years, I’m goin...