Saturday, June 20, 2026

Sugar Skulls and Stories: My Visit to the Ofrendas at the DIA

One of the joys of living in the United States is getting to be part of its many celebrations and cultural traditions. Among them, Halloween has always been one of my favourites. Even though Halloween traces its roots back to Europe, Americans have truly made it their own  and I’ve happily joined in the fun in all the years I have been here. 

Every year, I look forward to the spooky decorations, creative costumes, events and of course, the laughter of children coming by for trick-or-treats. Ever since I bought my home, I’ve made it a little ritual to fill a big bowl of candy and have it on my porch for the neighbourhood kids. 

Last year, I added a new tradition to my autumn routine which is visiting the 13th Ofrenda Exhibition at the Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA). It’s an annual showcase inspired by the Mexican celebration of Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), and it turned out to be a very poignant and interesting experience. 

Roots run deep by Natalie Rivera 

For those unfamiliar, ofrendas are beautifully decorated altars created to honour and remember loved ones who have passed away. They’re often adorned with photos, marigolds, candles, sugar skulls, and personal items that meant something to them. I actually became really interested in this tradition after watching the movie Coco (which I now re-watch every year and has become my little Halloween ritual).

This year, when I went back to the exhibition, I noticed that the museum had spread the ofrendas across three floors instead of keeping them all in one space like last year. I loved that because it gave me an excuse to explore different parts of the DIA, especially areas I’d never spent much time in before. I spent some time reading the descriptions on every ofrenda and each told a story where some are tender, some tragic but all deeply human. 

Las Suenitas Perdidas by Lindsay Clinansmith

As I was walking around observing the ofrendas, what struck me most was how global the tradition has become. While it began in Mexico, this years' ofrendas were created by families from Albania, the Netherlands, China, the Philippines, and African American communities. I explored, noticing that how each altar had its own personal touch and details such favourite food, drinks, symbolic items, and little glimpses into lives once lived. Standing before them, I found myself imagining those stories through their joys, their passions, and their impact. These are people I have never met but I am able to share their stories through the ofrendas. It reminded me that every person leaves behind a legacy, even if small, that ripples through others’ lives and it made me want to live more fully and intentionally. 

Chinese, Albanian and Dutch ofrendas 

The highlight of my visit came at the end of the day at the sugar skull painting workshop. I had missed it last year, so this time I made sure to arrive early. Sitting among families and visitors, surrounded by bright paints and laughter, I felt an unexpected sense of connection to not just the art, but to the idea of honouring life itself. I brought my little sugar skull home as a colourful keepsake of the day.

Marzipan sugar skull provided by DIA

My sugar skull masterpiece.

I walked out of the museum feeling grateful not just for the art and culture, but for the reminder that remembering the ones we love can be a celebration too. Halloween might be about costumes and candy for some, but for me, it’s a time to pause, reflect, and celebrate life in all its colour. 

He is bold,bright and spooky. Just how I like it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Monarch Butterfly Story

This summer I finally tried something I’ve been curious about for a while which is raising monarch butterflies. Over the years, I have seen ...